Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Starting School


So we or I should say Cristi finally started school. He was super excited and came running into my room jumped on my bed and proclaimed in English "I wanna go school now" with a great big goofy smile on his face.
Yesterday we had the induction to meet his teacher and classmates and of course in the great style that is Romania we found out which class he would be going into at 22:30 the night before. It seems to have been worth the wait though because his teacher seems lovely so hopefully she is. She is young probably a couple years older than me and hopefully less likely to have and use the "big stick" which his friends informed him the teachers use when their pupils are naughty/non-listening.
Of course his backpack which we bought here broke the first day before he even got to put any new books in but I guess something has to go wrong. The shop keeper looked at me completely perplexed when I took it back to ask for an exchange "what do you want me to do about it, I just sell them. It's not my job to replace it if it breaks - who knows what you've been doing with it at home." This of course frustrated me but made me wonder more what exactly can one 'get up to' with a back pack in their home? (ideas please!)

Today was his first proper day in class and his little face was so scared when I left him and unfortunately I have to admit I fall into the parenting category of weepers on their child's first day of school. In fairness though I think it dredges up too many feelings from the past and how awful it was every time I had to take him back to the orphanage I'm so very glad that is not the case anymore!
Of course when I went to pick him up he was full of smiles and had had fun. Though he thought it was funny they hadn't done any work today and had only played and talked. Enjoy it now kiddo I say, I guess the next few days/weeks will show if he will still enjoy it when he receives the 2 hours of homework most of them will get everyday. What a great education system! It's going to be a crazy year.

Oh and if you want to see the rest of Rebecca's trip check out the album I put up on facebook by clicking here

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's a big day for both of you! He's so handsome/cute in the schooluniform! Give him a big hug from me. :) wiht love /Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check him out!! Kiki rocks the dapper look!! I am so pleased you posted this. brilliant.totally get why you were a teary parent!! love you both dearly, Auntie Rebecca xx

    ReplyDelete