Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Since I've been back...

I came back from Scotland 11 days ago and, of course, so much has happened already. Spring has sprung and the streets are lined with cherry blossom. The flowers are out and we've been planting some in Cristi's old wellies which he thought was hilarious and oh so cool! The April Showers have also come setting a coldness into the air but I enjoy this season oh so much with it's colour, joy and promise.

Here's an update of this weeks main happenings:

Cristi - Cristi is good. Struggling still a bit with school and hating the bullies and the apparently often pointless homework that takes up a large portion of his afternoon. I just don't fully understand this schooling system! Otherwise he is happy and excited to have next week off as school breaks for Easter holiday week. He also has 4 wobbly teeth all top and at the front. I told him he's going to have to eat through a straw when they start to come out.

Day Center - Ticking along as usual lots of games, laughter and crafts. Today my co worker chuckled as she retold how when Nicoleta was asked to tell her 2 deaf colleagues to come to breakfast she returned saying "they're not coming it's like they are deaf". Oh dear! 

Hospital - The first week I was back I was a little sad but mostly happy because 5 of the 7 babies who were there the week before had been moved to foster families. It is always a little sad to know I will never see them again but I am happy that I hopefully played a small part in nurturing them and lessening the many negative results that can occur due to abandonment. However, happiness was short lived as we are already back up to 6 babies again. I just can't understand why so many, and so often they, are being left behind.
   I did come to the realisation that breastfeeding was beneficial on many different levels today as I struggled to feed one baby while rocking another one, who was crying for food, on my legs and trying to talk to another who was squawking in the crib beside me! This is why women breastfeed I thought because when you've already got your hands full how do you hold a bottle and burp and mop up the spit up and soothe the others. I know one thing for sure I have new found admiration for mothers of triplets!! Heck, even of twins!!
   These new little lives that have entered mine are so precious and my Mon-Thurs visits of 1 1/2 hours just isn't enough to give to them. Although it is enough for my heart to fall more and more in love with them everyday!
   I wish the foundation I work for would grant us the hours, Court and I spend up there, as work hours but sadly they don't. So if I have a free hour you can find me there but those free hours are not so many and it makes me sad that I can't devote more time to holding them and giving them the interaction that they crave and so desperately need.

State Orphanage - It makes me sad visiting here. Tired and sad! Last Monday we went there to spend some time with the adults who are victims of lifelong abandonment and institutionalisation. One of the girls who is the same age as myself was in a terrible state, crying and rocking and seemingly inconsolable. When I was able to discover the problem it was this: They are only given hot water once a week for bathing themselves, and 3 days after this she simply wanted to wash herself again because she felt that she smelled bad and in turn this made her feel uncomfortable. She started to pray to God to make her heart stop beating before Easter came because she simply doesn't want to live with these conditions any longer. Sure she is a little dramatic and exceptionally over concerned with hygiene, hoarding copious amounts of toiletries in her cupboard which she trades from the other people that live there. But, she shouldn't have to get herself into such a state over a lack of warm water and the opportunity for cleanliness, should she?! Everyday I am reminded how unfair life can be for some and how lucky and privileged I am to have the life I do. This week when we visited she thanked me for caring and loving her. I am glad that we can bring a little love and reassurance to her life but I am sad it can't be more.

Well that is all I have for now. Just one more thing, look after each other and enjoy the coming Spring and the warmness and colour that comes with it. Let it remind you that even in harsh and unfair times laughter, love and life can be found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment