Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Will this CRAZY weather never stop?!

So yesterday was Spring like. Court and I were able to go visit the family we are supporting with baby formula and different bits to ensure that their little one is healthy and growing and getting the nourishment he needs (the mother has been unable to produce breast milk - and their is little in the way of post natal care here especially for the extremely poor. So we're trying to help where we can).

This family live in one of the poorest gypsy villages very close to the Hungarian border - around a 50 minute drive from here. This is the 3rd baby and his two bigger sisters (3 & 5 years) were in the hospital as babies. Court and I took care of them for a good amount of time because they had come to the hospital very undernourished and small for their ages (pretty much starved). Court and I both fell in love with these girls during the times they were left at the hospital. When they had gone home we were able to check on them every few months to make sure they were happy and being taken care of. So, naturally when we found out the mother was pregnant again we vowed to help to make sure that this time he would not end up in the same situation as his sisters.

He has just turned two months and so far is still home and growing strong. It is so amazing to know that we have been able to help keep this little one with his mother - and I'm honoured to be a part of their lives.

They (the mother her 3 children and their grandparents) have very little: a house smaller than my bedroom - with 3 beds and a wood burning stove and well that's pretty much it. Yesterday the Grandpa was so apologetic because they didn't have any coffee to give us. It's so humbling to work with these people, and I am so very much aware of how much I have and how lucky I am to have it. I survive here because of you supporting me and I like to think that with the little help Court and I give we are able to help this family survive a little better. Thank you.

Really this blog was going to just show a few pics of the day but I started rambling - how unusual for me :) Anyways I obviously can't publish any pictures up here of the family due to how public it is (but I did send out a pic previously with the Christmas update).

Today though I wanted to show how crazy the weather has been. Crazier still because it was so sunny yesterday afternoon. It has been a white and very snowy day - the kind of snow where you are unable to look up as you walk due to the speed and force its flying at your face! (this is shown perfectly on the faces of Kiki and Alex as we stopped to take a pic - although they still were so happy to be out in it!) I on the other hand am not - I am so very ready for Spring! So I hope these are the last winter pics I will share with you. Hope you enjoy them xx





2 comments:

  1. Im so glad the baby is doing well - I can picture them as I read - its been a hard winter for them with the snow so its so good they are doing well - glad you manage to visit xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, you are doing such a wounderful thing with your life! Can't explain in words what I feel when I read your blog. One step closer maybe. :)
    Xxxxxx /Hanna

    ReplyDelete