Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Street corner

So today I am standing on the corner waiting for Kiki to come out of school and up walks this very well dressed Roma girl. She is maybe 21 and has very clean and new looking knee high boots, nice jeans warm winter jacket and a fancy bag. To be honest she is better dressed than I am - and possibly cleaner! So, she waltzes over huge smile on her face and says "Hello how are you" I am wracking my brain thinking well you look like the aunt of one of the boys at school but otherwise I have never seen you before. Turns out she was the cousin to this boys aunt - how nice I think, she has come over to chat because she recognised me.
Well after 5 minutes of pleasantries suddenly her huge grin turns into a depressed frown and her voice immediately changes from bright and bubbly to low repetitive and monotone voice (the begging voice adopted by so many here) "please can you give me some money I need medicine please give me money I am ill etc etc". Well now I realise ha I've been 'approached' so I answer very politely no I am sorry I have a boy and I have people I help I don't have money for you. She carries on but realising she is getting nowhere changes tact "please give me money my sister has just had a baby I need to buy diapers" OK I say you have a big bag of flipping diapers in your hand so I don't think you need my help to buy anymore right now.
On it goes her asking for diapers and me now feeling embarrassed surrounded by other parents. Again I guess she realises this is getting her nowhere so "please give me money I have no money. Give me a little money so I can buy some food. I have no money for food" OK this is getting ridiculous she is probably the same size as me and has really nice clothes on "I think you are OK, you look well fed and your clothes are pretty new and nice. I'm sorry but I can not help you".
Then to my surprise big smile again and the happy squeaky voice returns - "OK thanks anyway you're not mad that I asked are you? Good. How are you? What are you doing today?" OH my I am so confused by this apparent dual sided individual stood in front of me.
You know I want to not be prejudiced to anyone but it is moments like these that make me understand why some Romanians tar the Roma with the 'you're lazy and just want to beg and get for free' brush. I mean fair on you if it works for you but today's experience was just bizarre!

No comments:

Post a Comment