Saturday, 24 March 2012

Yesterday's sadness

Drip
His tiny body lost amongst the blankets of the big bed
Drip
An IV hung on an old coat stand
Drip
Holding his hands as he whimpers in pain
Drip
His starved body has no usable veins
Drip 
Patting his back to remind him I'm here
Drip
The sharp needle stuck in his head
Drip
Humming a song to soothe his cries
Drip
The room is stale and hot and empty
Drip
Another child cries as her skin is pricked
Drip
Her hand bloodied and bruised and swollen
Drip
Her mother slips money into the nurses pockets
Drip
Payments for a job they should already do
Drip
Little whimper
Drip
Tiny cry
Drip
My back aches as I lean over him
Drip
I am here little one. You are not alone
Drip
You are special to me. I love you
Drip
My head and heart ache

No comments:

Post a Comment