Today was a day that made me realise that life can often hit you hard and that for some people having a say in the life they live really isn't always an option made available to them.
The instituition we visit weekly has occassionaly sent higher level adults out to the city to live in smaller assisted living opportunities where they can work, earn a wage and take more of an active role in how they live etc.
When we arrived at the state institution today I was suprised at first to see a face that had not been present there for the last 2 1/2 years. The joy on his face to see us after so long was unexplainable he was so happy to see us - but i feel sad. When he first left I had found it hard because we were never given the chance to say goodbye but I knew it was a better place where he had gone, somewhere he could take a bit more charge in his life rather than where he had been.
However now he's back. Sometimes I just don't understand how it works here. It makes me so sad that without much thought they take these people away from what they know place them into a situation although difficult - hopefully better for them - and then bring them back to the place you first sent them on from. Without a thought to ask them what they themselves want. Really, what's the point??!! We're just further harming, already damaged and fragile young people. It really is one step forward two steps back!
And I just - I wanted to cry when I saw him. I really thought that these people would one day move on to smaller group or assisted living arrangements but why then are we pulling those already settled in such situations back to institutions? I don't know what more to say :(
Oh Katie, it makes me sad, angry, frustrated.. Can you please text me next time you're with them so I can call and talk to them? (Just gonna repeat Lemon tree the next days so I can sing with them.:))
ReplyDeleteXxxxx Hanna