On Wednesday I went with 8 of the school children and 2 teachers to the city (about an hour away) to the International Cultural Festival for Special Kids. One of the teachers had devised a pantomime set to music so that some of the pupils could take part in this competition aimed to promote friendship week amongst schools (both special needs and not) in the area and throughout Romania. There was also a national dance performed by a group of special needs children form Portugal and a sketch by two boys from Poland.
I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go there. It was amazing to see how many had gathered to celebrate these special children who are so often pushed to the side and hidden or ignored. The day really warmed me and made me smile! There were little ones as young as 4 performing and there was even a dance off by some adults with downs syndrome which had the crowd cheering and clapping! I never thought I'd witness that here!! Amazing!
And the kids from my school - well we won 2nd prize! They were so ecstatic!! We took them to a little cake shop to celebrate (I had such a great pic to insert here but its not letting me upload them today - sorry!). This was such a wonderful experience for our kids. The first competition they entered with a piece like this and they came 2nd I'm so proud of them!! Even if they did leave the theater without me and had to turn the car around when they realised that 10mins later.
Anyway I just wanted to share that with you especially after the other (sad) day - see sometimes this place really does surprise me!
Wow, what a great thing! I'm so happy for you, the kids and Romania! A such a thing is a big step for the country and all the special need kids. :)
ReplyDeleteLove /Hanna